Birth Story

Okay here is it…finally…because I’m a slacker LOL

Fair warning, I’m not proof reading this because it takes long enough to type without having to read it again

The night before induction my husband and I met IFs for dinner at a local Mexican restaurant. We chatted about what the next day might look like then went our separate ways until baby was ready to make her appearance!

I checked into the hospital at 7:15am by myself. The plan was for my husband to come in later in the afternoon because once he came into the room he couldn’t leave and come back. We had gotten the okay for both IFs to be in the room when it was close to delivery time so they would come later as well.

The nurse got me all checked in, got the IV started, did the COVID test (ouch!), and said the doctor would stop by in a bit. The nurse said that I was actually having contractions which I assumed were just Braxton Hicks, but she said they were real ones, just very light. They were only about a 2 out of 10 on the pain scale. I ordered breakfast at 8am and settled in to wait.

I started to get antsy when she wasn’t there by 9am…then another 50 minutes passed before she was able to come in. She checked me and I was still only 1cm and -3 station (baby was still pretty high up). She placed a misoprostol tablet against my cervix to soften it and then told me that they would check me again in 4 HOURS! and only then would we start pitocin. That was pretty disheartening news as I was hoping to get things going a little faster than that. Since it had taken so long for her to get to me it was now going to be until after 2pm that we could even start Pitocin. However, there was nothing I could really do about it.

For simplicity’s sake I’ll do the next parts in a list by time

Noon: contractions got stronger, 4-5/10 and 2-3 minutes apart. I was able to get up and walk around (had to wait for a bit after the miso was placed) and bounce on the yoga ball.

3:30: The OB was busy so at 3:30 the nurse finally checked me again. I was only 2cm…womp womp She started the pitocin, starting at 2 and eventually increasing it to 6 over the next couple hours.

During all this time I was trying to keep the parents in the loop since they couldn’t be there and texting my husband to let him know what was going on since he didn’t want to come too early and be stuck there forever (joke was on us because he did end up there for a loooong time).

6pm: Husband arrived

6:30pm: I decided to get the epidural placed

6:45pm: The nurse had been watching my blood pressure slowly drop since the epi was placed and kept asking me if I felt okay which I did…until I didn’t LOL I can’t remember what the numbers were exactly when I finally felt the effects, but I think it was something like 70/40. The nurse called back the anesthesiologist and they gave me some meds that brought it back up and made me feel a lot better.

8:55pm: I felt a gush that I thought was probably my water breaking. I had my husband come over and look. He said that it wasn’t water, that it was blood. I called the nurse back in who took a peek. She thought maybe it was partially my water breaking.

9pm: OB comes in. She checks me (4cm) and pulled a small clot out. Breaks my water. She said they would keep a close eye on me and if she doesn’t like the amount of blood then we will do a c section.

During this time IFs had been in the parking lot waiting for the okay to come in. We had all expected things to move a bit quicker than they were. We weren’t sure when they would be able to come in and around 10pm while the nurse and I were discussing when would be a good time they appeared in the doorway LOL So that worked out and we didn’t have to worry about them being let in

I wish that I had remembered to keep better notes past this point, but I was tired and the epidural kept wearing off in a certain area so I just didn’t write much more down until the next day. By then the times that things happened were already getting fuzzy.

I continued to leak amniotic fluid for most of the night. Baby’s head would keep plugging my cervix and whenever I moved, she moved, or the nurse checked me more fluid would leak out….we went through so many towels LOL

When the epidural started to wear off from my hips down I tried to deal with it, but when the nurse checked me and I was only like 6cm we decided to have the anesthesiologist come back. He retaped it once which didn’t help. Then he came back and basically wiggled the catheter and retaped it which fixed it for awhile.

I labored all night. It took a while to fully dilate because she was turned just enough that she wasn’t putting much pressure on my cervix.

I was finally able to start pushing, but she was still turned and stuck on my pubic bone a bit. Instead of pushing to no avail we took a break and I laid on my side with the peanut ball between my knees.

We started pushing again just before 7am. Around 7am when the nurses were switching shifts and our nurse from the previous day was getting the updates from the night nurse I asked if I should be pushing with the contraction I was having. They said sure…so I started pushing, right at that point my OB came walking in to check on everything. All of a sudden, and what felt like out of the blue to me baby was right there and ready to come out. I asked if I should keep going or stop because it was pretty obvious that nobody was ready for her at that moment. They told me to stop pushing while they got ready. That was super hard and seemed like it took forever for them to get everything ready.

They were finally ready and it only took a couple more pushes to get her all the way out. She was born at 7:10 am, weighed 7lbs 8oz (my smallest delivery) and was 20.5in I think. We joked afterwards that she was just waiting until everyone was there at shift change so both nurses who looked after us and my OB were there to see her.

This was the only delivery that I wasn’t numb in my nether region and ouch! That ring of fire is no joke and some R rated words may have escaped…well not “some” more like a lot LOL

Dads were right by my shoulder and were able to see their daughter be born which we didn’t know if they would because of stupid COVID. We were all glad that it worked out on the end.

She was on my chest for a minute before the cord was cut and she went to her dads for some skin to skin time. Then she was weighed and measured before they got moved to their own room (which was technically the NICU, but baby was fine. That’s just where this hospital has IPs take care of their babies until they’re discharged)

Phew! That was a novel…I will continue with the post partum stuff in a new post.


One thought on “Birth Story

  1. Yay, baby!! That sounds like an incredibly long labor! I’m glad you didn’t end up having a c section though. I had zero pain meds with Young Miss and I totally agree about the ring of fire. I’m pretty sure I felt the 12:00 tear and it almost made me stop pushing! (They said I tore at 12 and 6, lucky me! 🙄) I’m glad the dad’s got to be there too! I just love it when births end up going well. ♥️

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s