Transfer Day!

I’m actually writing this 16 1/2 months after the transfer, but I realized while reading through old posts that I never sat down and wrote about the actual transfer so here we go…

The night before we flew out we drove the 3 hours to my parents’ house so our kiddos could stay with grandma and grandpa while we gone. We got to Las Vegas the afternoon before the transfer. I had only been there for the medical clearance appointment and was there less than 24 hours and my husband had never been there. We checked in to the Luxor, checked out our room, then decided to go get something to eat. We ate at one of the restaurants in the hotel then headed out for a walk. We were seeing a show in front of Caesars Palace late that night so we wanted to get our bearings and see if we wanted to drive or walk. We wandered in and out of the casinos and hopped on the tram for a bit. We were able to see part of the fountain show at the Bellagio which was amazing! We made it back the to hotel and hung out a bit before it was time for the show. We ended up driving because we didn’t want to walk that far again, especially so late when we had to be up semi early the next morning. The show we saw was called Absinthe and it was absolutely fantastic! I hadn’t laughed that hard maybe ever. I was dying and the acts were phenomenal. We would definitely recommend it and would love to go again.

The next morning we got up and went to get a bottle of water as I was supposed to have a full bladder for the transfer. We weren’t very far from the clinic so when I got there my bladder wasn’t that full. They had bottles of water there so I grabbed one and chugged it…this is a mistake I will not repeat again (more on that later). I was able to meet a fellow surrogate that I had met through a Facebook group. She was having her transfer with her IFs at the same time in the same clinic, so crazy and cool! We chatted a bit then we got our blood drawn. Next they took me back to sign the consent forms. All this time my bladder is filling up. My transfer was scheduled first, but since the other surrogate had gotten there before me they took her back first, this did not help my bladder situation. They took me back, I got undressed from the waste down and wrapped in a sheet. Then I waited….and waited, all the time my bladder is getting more and more full. I begged them to let me use the bathroom and they let me with the promise that I didn’t fully empty my bladder. I should have gone more, but was worried they would have trouble with the transfer is I did. Back to more waiting….I had to beg to use the restroom again and again….I should have gone more and I didn’t. It was finally my turn. They brought my husband back and we took a picture with the doctor before I got up on the table. Here’s where the fun part starts. They have to do an ultrasound while doing the transfer to make sure the embryo ends up in the right spot. They don’t just do an ultrasound, they push the US wand down, hard on your bladder. To this day I don’t know how I didn’t pee on the table. Even the nurse doing the US was like “whoa, yeah her bladder is really full”. It took every ounce of strength and willpower not to pee right then and there. After the transfer I had to wait 18 minutes before I could get up. They said I could use a bed pan if I couldn’t wait that long, but nobody really wants that so I just spent the next 18 minutes holding it in.

After the 18 minutes I was allowed to use the restroom (Thank Goodness!) and got dressed. They gave me the post transfer instructions and the husband I headed out. We hit up Denny’s on the way back to the hotel for breakfast then I spent the rest of the day in bed. I was allowed up 15 minutes of every hour. It’s a weird feeling knowing there was a tiny little embryo in there. Logically I knew it couldn’t “fall out” but that doesn’t mean I didn’t tip toe around the hotel room haha! I wish I would have been able to walk around with my husband that day, but I think he enjoyed exploring anyway. He broke up his walks with bringing me food…such a good hubby!

We got up early the next day and flew back to my parents house to start Christmas festivities. I spent the next 2 days mostly on the couch per the RE’s orders. It was a good excuse to be lazy, but come 3 days post transfer I was more than ready to resume normal activities.

The rest is history!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s