Legal Absurdity

Wondering if I’ve seen the first draft of our contract yet? The answer would be no and I’m less than pleased about it.

Here’s the deal:

8/28 Medical clearance

9/1 Talked to lawyer and agreed to work together

9/9 Was told by agency that lawyer said his absences this month would make for a 3-4 weeks delay so I decided to pick a new lawyer. Talked to new lawyer and decided to work together

9/10 New lawyer then let me and IPs lawyer know that she was going to be at a conference from 9/14-9/20

9/19 contract is emailed to my lawyer

9/22 I email lawyer and ask when I can expect the contract, no response

9/25 email lawyer again (I noticed she used a different email than the one on her website) and she replied saying that she’s been busy since she got back and she’d have it to me by 9/28 or 9/29

9/30 (today) get an email saying that she’s been too busy to get it done and now has to be out of the country all next week. She’s hoping she will have it to my by 10/9 or 10/10 YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME!!! By that time she will have had the draft for 3 freaking weeks!

Needless to say I’m livid. At this rate we should have just stuck with the first lawyer. So that’s where we’re at and I officially hate the legal stage and I haven’t even seen the contract yet 😠😠

That’s my vent, enjoy your weekend 😉


Still Here, Still Waiting

No progress on the contract front yet. I had to switch attorneys because the one I had originally decided on had some absences coming up and he told the agency that it would cause a 3-4 week delay in the process. When I had talked to him he didn’t think it would cause any delay. Obviously the delay isn’t going to work as we want to get this over with. So I switched to another attorney, who I was initially really impressed with because she took the time to call me on the weekend to go over a few things and confirm we can work together. Then I found out that she’s out of town from this Thursday until next Wednesday. So even though my IFs attorney said she would get the first draft of the contract to my attorney early this week it’s not likely to be reviewed until the end of next week and I won’t have the two hours necessary to go over it with my attorney until the following Thursday, so 2 weeks from tomorrow. We had hoped to have contracts done by Oct., but there’s basically no chance of that happening now. What that means is that we will have to push our transfer date back. I had hoped to get it done before Nov. 10th due to a busy family schedule next August. The medication protocol is anywhere from 3.5-5 weeks so we would have needed to start meds at the start of Oct. In order to do that we have to have contracts signed.

I talked to B & R about waiting until mid December to transfer if we couldn’t get it done before Nov. 10th so I wouldn’t be due in August and bless them, they were completely fine with waiting. They are seriously the best. I know they’ve been waiting for this for a long time and they didn’t even bat an eyelash when I asked if they could wait even longer. I even made sure to check with the clinic to make sure they did transfers in December as I have hear that some clinics are closed that month. My coordinator there said not to worry because they do schedule transfers through mid December. Perfect!

B & R have booked their trip to Bend! They’ll be in Bend for 3.5 days in mid October! I’m so excited to meet them in person. I hope I live up to their expectations LOL It’s humbling that someone would fly halfway around the world just to meet you.

Hopefully I have a contract update soon!

Officially Medically Cleared!

I just realized that I never wrote a post about getting my medical clearance… oops!! Last Monday I emailed my nurse at the clinic to see if I was okay to donate blood or if I should wait. I got an automatic reply that said she was out of the office until the next day. Fairly early on Tuesday she sent me an email letting me know that I could go ahead and donate and that they had received my medical clearance!!! Woohoo! It was such a weight off my shoulders to read that! I’ve been worried that something would show up on the blood work and I wouldn’t be able to continue. Fortunately everything looked good!

So now that’s behind me and we’re moving onto the legal/contract stage. While we’re in this phase B & R are going to plan a visit to Bend to meet all of us in person! I’m so excited to meet them face to face. They’re going to be coming up with some dates that work for them and we’ll see which ones work for us.

I have selected a lawyer to represent me in the contract process. I spoke with him on the phone last Friday and he seemed like a really nice guy who will make sure I get a contract I’m comfortable with. For those who don’t know it’s very important that the GC (gestational carrier) have a lawyer separate from that of the IPs. It’s to make sure that her interests are represented and that the agreement does not take advantage of the GC. This lawyer is paid for by the IPs, but they are not the client. Last week I spoke with K (case manager at my agency) about a few contract points just to make sure that we’re all on the same page before the contract is drafted. I thought that might help minimize the back and forth with the contract. I don’t really foresee us running into any issues that will make this process longer just because we had to talk about the major things (how many embryos to transfer, termination, IP involvement, etc) before we matched and again during the psych screening. Also the compensation is set by the agency as long as other fees so there’s not really anything to negotiate there. I think it will mostly be clarification in language and that kind of thing.

I’m hoping we can get this busted out by October so I can get on meds and transfer before November 10th. If we can’t, I’ll ask if we can wait unyil mid December to transfer due to us having a very busy August next summer. Fingers crossed we get this done quickly!