Medical Screening Appointment Complete

I started this post on Tuesday at the Las Vegas airport and it’s taken me until now to finish it. It’s too late for me to read through it all again so please excuse any typos πŸ˜‰ It’s a long one so grab a glass of beer, wine, or cider…or really whatever is your thing and read on ☺️

I left work on Monday about 12:15 and swung by Target to grab a few last minute things I had forgotten to buy earlier. I then headed to our little airport to jump on my first flight to San Francisco. I breezed through security and went to the board to see what gate I would be headed to (our airport only has 4 gates total LOL). Then my heart sank into my stomach, my flight was cancelled. I checked my phone and had an email from 5 minutes before letting me know it was cancelled, thanks for the heads up (mind you this was less than hour before departure). So I called my agency coordinator (K) and let her know. I told her I was waiting in line to see if I could get something figured out and she said to call her if they needed a credit card and to keep her updated. After standing in one line for awhile we were told to go downstairs to the bag drop area because they had more agents. Looooong story short about an hour later (at least I meant some nice women in line!) I finally had a new flight that would still get me to Vegas that night. The new flight left in 40 min which meant it was boarding ASAP. I then had to stand in another line to get a boarding pass and of course when I went to go back through security the line was much much longer than it was before. Eventually I made it with just enough time to hit the bathroom before boarding. I flew to Seattle first

I hung out at Sea-Tac for a couple hours before heading down to Nevada

Flying into Las Vegas at night was actually pretty awesome and I was kind of glad that I ended up getting there a couple hours later than originally planned.

I was pretty tired at that point even though it was only 9:30. I still had to get the shuttle to the rental car area, pick up the rental, and drive to my hotel. Luckily the drive was easy and I made it to my cute hotel room without a hitch.

After I got there I took a nice long shower, ate some snacks since I would have to skip breakfast and fast before my blood draw, then I painted my toes and watched some TV. It was a little bit hard to fall asleep thinking about my appointment the next morning. I felt like everything should be fine, but there could always be something going on I’m not aware of.

Next morning I got up, took another shower just because, and packed up my things. The whole trip I often wondered if people were wondering what I was doing in Las Vegas by myself for one night. I mean if I was the lady at the car rental counter or the guy at the hotel I would wonder LOL Anyway I jumped in the Kia Soul I had picked out the night before and headed to the fertility clinic.

I arrived 15 min early as directed. I was brought back rather quickly for the blood draw where they drained 10! vials of blood. The girl doing it was so sweet and so good I didn’t even feel the needle (much to my surprise and delight). She also told me that when they take blood our bodies make new, fresh blood cells which is good for us and she said she was making me younger 😁

After that I went back out into the waiting room and was given a consent form to go over and sign before they took be back again. The medical assistant took me back, grabbed my vitals and my blood pressure was high. She said borderline, but it’s the highest it’s ever been for me. She noted it then took me to the exam room.

In the room she asked me a few questions and explained what we were going to be doing today. Then she left me to get dressed in the super sexy paper gown and wait for the Dr.

In the exam room is the transvaginal ultrasound wand which is know by many a pet name including Mr. Wienie Wand and the Dildo Cam πŸ˜‚ I think both are pretty self explanatory, but here’s a picture in case you’ve never seen one, this is supposed to be a somewhat educational blog πŸ˜‰

The doctor came in, let’s call her Dr. Bubbly because she was so sweet and just bubbly 😁 She asked me the same questions again plus a few more. We briefly discussed my high BP then it was on to the “fun” part. Both Dr. Bubbly and the medical assistant laughed out loud when I gave her the precise location of my cervix πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Doctors can have a hard time tracking it down because it’s not in the usual spot so I’ve become accustomed to giving them directions and honestly they all really appreciate it 🀣

Dr. Bubbly then did a mock transfer which is just passing a catheter through the cervix to make sure there’s not issue. Then they do a sonohysterogram where they put a small amount of saline solution into the uterus and do the ultrasound to see if there are any fibroids or polyps that would cause a problem getting pregnant. Dr. Bubbly told me I have a “very pretty uterus” which is a compliment surrogates love to hear! She took some measurements of my uterine lining which once she remeasured was at 7mm which is good for that cycle day. Hopefully with that lining number I won’t have to do a mock cycle which is basically doing a fully medicated cycle, but not transferring. It’s to see how the body responds to the meds and how thick the uterine lining gets.

After that was finished there was some Q&A with the doctor and filling out a consent form. After that I was good to go. They do some hormone levels testing in house, but send some blood out for outside testing.

I had a little bit of time to kill before I needed to be at the airport and since I’ve never been to Las Vegas I took a drive down part of the Strip (I would have went further, but I hit construction and I noped the heck out of there LOL

I did take pics while I was driving, but I promise most of them I was driving super slow or stopped at a red light 😳

Then I headed back to drop off my rental car and head to the airport. I still hadn’t eaten anything yet that day because I had to fast before the blood work and then I never really saw a place that sounded good. Β I got to the airport, got my boarding pass, went through security and headed to find some food. After lunch I found a place to plug in my phone and sent a couple texts to K (agency coordinator) and an email to B & R (the intended fathers). While I was there I got an email from the clinic saying that everything looked great at my appointment and that my initial blood work came back great. There was also instructions to start taking my birth control pills again and to stay on the active pills only so we can go to transfer as soon as contracts are done. Now we’re just waiting on the out of office lab results and if they’re all normal then I’ll officially have my medical clearance which will be a huge weight off my shoulders.

The rest of the trip home was uneventful expect sitting in the plan for over an hour on my last leg because apparently there were some intoxicated people who needed to be dealt with πŸ˜‘

I finally made it home and was in bed ready to pass out by 11:35pm.

And that, my friends, is the long ass version of my first (hopefully not last) journey to Las Vegas for this surrogacy journey 😁


One thought on “Medical Screening Appointment Complete

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s